6 years ago today I landed in Israel as a new immigrant. Finally after years of coming back and forth, I decided that this is where I was going to live, for the unforeseeable future.
But here I am 6 years in, and I know that I am leaving in May, again for the unforeseeable future. Usually I have a party on this day, but this year I feel strange doing so- almost like I am lying by celebrating. (That is for another post when I have more time and energy to reflect on this reality).
But on a positive note, I think that I have accomplished quite a bit over the past 6 years:
- I have been employed the entire time, and only in things that I see as are in my field.
- I speak Hebrew fluently, and in a way that people can’t tell that I am American, or at think that I have been here for much longer than I have been.
- I work in Hebrew (speaking and writing).
- I run a community that still functions.
- I directed plays, and actually got paid for it.
- I am a person that people know, and almost everyone knows where my house is.
- I have been in the same apartment for the past 5 years.
- I have friends, an apartment, and am financially independent- even 6 years in.
At times I feel like I have been here forever, while other times I still feel like I am new. It will be interesting to see what happens when I go back to the US, a place I haven’t lived in since 2008 (when I was still in college). And interesting of what it will be like, if I do move back to Israel when I am done with school.
But until now- Happy 6th Aliyaversary!!!